Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Gibson Les Paul BFG Limited-Edition


First, allow me to say that I am a big fan of Gibson guitars, especially Les Pauls. I love them. I hope to buy one some day. But Gibson went too far this time. As if they couldn't find any other way to overprice their guitars, they went and did this. Yeah, I said it. There is a certain percentage of the price tacked on simply for the name "Gibson". You cannot deny that. I'm not knocking them for it. I am a strong believer in a capitalistic free market. $1,800 for a Gibson is overpriced, but it is still worth it. You may think that is a contradiction, but it all makes sense in my head.
.
Here is what they did:
They took 200 guitars from each finish and set them aside for this limited edition line. What they did next... was nothing. This guitar is un-sanded, has no binding, no pickup rings, no truss rod cover, no toggle switch rings, no fretboard position indicators, no inlays, with wooden knobs that have no numbers. This guitar is completely utilitarian only. What they DID do was Have Lester William Polsfuss (aka Les Paul) himself sign each one so Guitar Center could sell them for over $4,000! Maybe it's just me, but I say send it on down the assembly line and finish the damn thing before you charge me 4 Gs for it! Maybe that's just me.
.
I guess the point of this guitar is to be a collectors item. Maybe people are suppose to hang it on their wall and never play it. That just seems like a waste to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment